RYA Online Ocean Yachtmaster Theory
The ultimate RYA theory course for
those with a real interest in serious navigation.
This course is a
requirement for those wishing to work on larger vessels and is great fun for
those who do not.
£285 Book now
Understand how celestial navigation works with a
course that is by far the best available.
Everyone who has
completed this course has been successful.Study time
:- Approximately 50 hours.Certification
:- RYA Ocean
Yachtmaster Theory.Ocean Yachtmaster Theory Assessment
Included and online.
14 day opt out with full refund
on return of the undamaged
Price £285 Book now
Price includes RYA practice navigation tables access to the Navathome Ocean
Yachtmaster theory course, course notes and feedback and help from our
fulltime instructors for 18 hours a day seven days a week.
We help you every step of the way
This is one of those times when I can say there is no other choice.
This course is by far the best Astro Navigation course around and beats not
only other distance learning courses but classroom courses as well. All the
usual pictures that are normally provided as still slides are fully animated
in our course providing a learning opportunity not to be missed.
The animated lessons used in our courses are not matched in any other online course.
Click to hide?
They are designed to make learning interesting and questions easy.
Assessment methods within the courses ensure student training is Evaluated, Validated and Recorded.
What our students think
"If you are thinking about taking the YM
Ocean theory course? Stop thinking. Do it now.
During this course,
Georgina and Vic were always there to answer my questions immediately.
Even on a Sunday evening!
I would like to thank the whole Navathome
crew for helping me through this.
I recommend this course to everyone
who is thinking about the YM Ocean exam, but also if you are just
interested in celestial navigation. Follow this course at your own tempo.
This course brought my maritime career to a higher level."
So with the help of your course and a few books I have just
successfully got us across the Atlantic on celestial nav. It has all
finally clicked, makes good sense and my fixes have been darn close to
GPS for most of the trip.
Why you should choose us
not included by all other providers.
- The Ocean theory course online
If they don't do ocean?
- Fourteen day opt out with full refund.
- Animated diagrams show you how and why Astro Navigation works.
We have a 100% pass rate for
everyone who has completed this
Course includes the RYA courses notes which include practice
navigation tables and question papers,
Free downloads of pro-formers for plotting and pro-formers for sight
Online pro-formers for entering answer with instant feedback and
You enrolment lasts for three years.
is for the first six months after which you have the
option to extend in six monthly intervals.
The course can be completed in as little as 50 hours.
Your RYA pack is sent out at the latest the next day.
Available for PC and mac. Uses Flash graphics which can be downloaded free
fulltime RYA instructors +
Left to right a highly qualified team to look after your needs.
Vic Punch RYA Ocean Yachtmaster Instructor motor and sail
Lynda Punch RYA Yachtmaster instructor motor and sail
Georgina Wale RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor
Click to hide?
Take your assessment online +
Your assessment can be taken on line and in the comfort of your own home.
Your results are provided instantly then followed up by feedback from your instructor.
There is no frustrating waiting around to find out how you have done.
Invigilated assessments must be taken at an RYA training centre
Click to hide?
Help 7 days a week 0700 - 2000 +
Our instructors are fulltime. They do not go off sailing all summer but are employed to provide help and feedback for your course.
Because there are three fulltime instructors our cover is from 0700 i the morning until 2000 in the evening and sometimes more.
Click to hide?
To complete the Ocean Yachtmaster theory course
candidates must have a sound knowledge of navigation,
latitude and longitude and transferred position lines.
Ocean Yachtmaster Syllabus.
Click to hide?
- The earth and the celestial sphere.
- Definition of observer’s zenith and position
of a heavenly body in terms of latitude,
longitude, GHA and declination
- Right angle relationships, latitude and co-lat,
declination and polar distance
- Relationship between GHA, longitude and LHA
- Tabulation of declination in nautical
- Rate of increase of hour angle with time
- The PZX triangle
- The tabulated components of the triangle,
LHA, co-lat and polar distance
- The calculable components, zenith distance
- Relationship between zenith distance and
- Introduction to the tabular method of
solution in the Air Navigation Tables and the
basic sight form
- The use of calculators for the solution of
the PZX triangle
- The sextant
- Practical guide to the use and care of a
sextant at sea
- Conversion of sextant altitude to true
- Application of dip, index error and
- Correction of side error, perpendicularity,
index error and collimation error
- Measurement of time
- Definition of, and relationship between, UT,
LMT, standard time and zone time
- Rating of chronometers and watches
- Meridian altitudes
- Forecasting time of meridian altitude
- Reduction of meridian altitude sights
- Sun, star and other sights
- Reduction and plotting of sun sights using
Air Navigation Tables
- Awareness of use of calculator for sight
- The plotting of sun-run-sun meridian
- Awareness of the reduction and plotting of
sights obtained from stars, moon and planets
- Compass checking
- Use of amplitude and azimuth tables systems
- Satellite Navigation Systems
- Principles and limitations of use of all
- Great circle sailing
- Comparison of rhumb lines and great circles
- Vertices and composite tracks
- The computation of a series of rhumb lines
approximating to a great circle by use of gnomonic
and Mercator projections
- General pressure distribution and prevailing
winds over the oceans of the world
- Tropical revolving storms, seasonal
occurrence and forecasting by observation
- Passage planning
- Publications available to assist with
planning of long passages (routeing charts,
ocean passages of the world and other
- Preparation for ocean passage including
survival equipment, victualing, water and fuel
management, chafe protection, spares and
- Passage making
- Navigational routine
- Watch keeping
- Crew management
- Satellite and terrestrial systems
- Weather information
The Navathome.com suite of courses is professionally written by fully qualified
RYA instructors with a background in
e-learning and computer programming.